Monday, August 22, 2011

Day 1: the right reasons

And so it begins. I was thinking about my 18 years in the teaching profession. I have two tendencies for how I handle the end of a day. Either I am completely enthralled in finishing my list of never ending to do's OR I sit in my room doing nothing more than being completely aimless. Either way, I was wasting my time. One, by being aimless. As productive as it is getting tons of little things done that have been haunting me from the top of my desk, I was missing out the pleasure of ending a work day and being able to focus on being with my family at home. Either way, I wonder if I was focusing on what's most important.

I've decided,this year to end each day with some reflection. It will be the last thing I do before walking out the door. It will happen despite numerous things I could finish that will still be on my to do list when I arrive the following morning. I he iT will be a way for me to finalize my work day, allowing me some down time until the sun rises.

Today's reflection is taken up with creating this blog. I was impressed that I actually came up with a clever name, a name worthy of reflection. Also very clever is me creating the blog and posting this entry entirely on my iPad. Amazing where technology has taken us over the last 18 years. My first classroom... 1 Apple Classic II computer. Lemmings was the big game my 6th graders fought to play. Half way through the year, the miracle that was a color screen. No more gray screen. I think I should have saved that first computer and made a fish tank from it. Oh well. Lost opportunities.

Let this year begin with hope of many exciting changes to brightness my days and the proper perspective to see that technology, despite how cool, has not replaced the human element.

No comments:

Post a Comment