Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Day 8: The Element

I've been reading The Element by Sir Ken Robinson, Ph.D.  Most people have heard of his work through his speech at TED.  (I like the RSA Animate version better)  The book is reminding me a lot of some of my other favorites, Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv, A Whole New Mind by Daniel Pink, and just about any book by Rafe Esquith.  I think the fundamental message behind each of these books is the same...  Everyone is unique and deserves to be treated with respect and appreciation for individual talents.

I was thinking today that I've tried to work hard in my career to treat my students with appreciation for their uniqueness.  Now, I find myself in the role of primarily working with adults.  I think it is even more important to remember those principles.  To that end, I pledge to avoid, as much as possible, the following...

  • One size fits all technology training.
  • Show up, listen up training.
  • One size fits all technology implementation and use in classrooms.
  • Directives for what 'must' be done.
I pledge to encourage, as much as possible, the following...
  • Opportunities for differentiated technology training available at flexible times.
  • Multiple opportunities to 'try' technology at variable levels in classrooms.
  • Suggestions for what would be 'good.'

No comments:

Post a Comment